After being called out for liking T.I. songs (which I had coming),Â here some things to listen to that Neil and Kevin can enjoy:
-Â a while back I got into a singer/songwriter phase after watching Heartworn Highways and Be Here To Love Me.Â Then the other day I came across a singer named after two of my favorites from those movies: Townes Van Zant and Steve Earle. Â Justin Townes Earle has the last name Earle because he is the son of Steve, and looks just as messed up as both Steve and TVZ were.Â The single off his new album, Yuma, is good along with the few other songs I heard from him.
– a charity compilation disc, Dark Was The Night, looks like it could be really cool.Â Its bigger name artists doing covers.Â But because its for charity, no blogs like to post anything up to listen to (rightly so, probably).Â Artists include Spoon, Sharon Jones and the Daptones, My Morning Jacket, Feist with Ben Gibbard, and so on. The myspace showcases a single song a day or you can listen snippets of each song at Amazon.
– another charity disc, War Child: Heroes, is another album of covers that is tough to preview because its for charity.Â Songs include Franz Ferdinand doing Blondie’s Call Me, Estelle covering Stevie Wonders Superstition and Lily Allen covering that MIA sample with her godfather Mick Jones of the Clash.
– Starbucks has a compliation disc called Sweathearts 09 with covers (can you tell I like covers) of I Put a Spell On You by She & Him, Black and Gold by Katy Perry and Buddy Holly’s Words of Love done by Jessica Lea Mayfield.
– Legend Booker T. of Booker T. And The M.G.’s is coming out with a solo album, Potato Hole.Â His backing band is fucking Neil Young and The Drive By Truckers.Â The sound of that Hammond B3 organ is unmistakably awesome.Â You can preview a song at Pitchfork.
– Finally, head over to Doctor Mooney to check out a disc from Ike and Tina.Â It took me a day to realize that the line from the Hunter, “Got you in the sites of my love gun,” is said in How Many More Times by Led Zeppelin.
Categorised in: Music
This post was written by Brian