Some might say it is too early for a post a Saint Patrick’s day post, but it is shamrock shake season and you don’t listen to Christmas music only on Christmas, you listen to it for the whole month beforehand, right? Â Last year’s post with Elvis’ Danny Boy was weak, but theÂ Shane Mcgowan songs (which I really do like despite the snarky/hateful tone that comes across) and Northside Irish mix went over pretty well so I wanted to do another one. Â IÂ acquiredÂ a significant amount of Irish songs last year for dj-ing purposes, so this is the best of it; these are not just Irish songs for the sake of being Irish, but good songs that I have been listening to lately:
- Dessie O’Halloran – Courtin in the Kitchen: Great upbeat version of a favorite traditional song. Â I remember the first time I really listened to the lyrics and realized how raunchy some Irish songs can be (did you know the “Rare Ole Mountain Dew” isn’t about pop?).
- Dessie O’Halloran -Â I’ve Waited As Long As I Can (Say You Love Me); Devaney’s Goat: Most popular song of his in Ireland cause it should be. Â Really, the whole album is good.
- Dessie O’Halloran – I’ll Fly Away: While actually a American Baptist song (Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch sang it in O’ Brother Where Art Thou), it is sung by an Irish guy in this case. Â It counts cause I said so. Â For some reason, the crackly old man voice works in the same way Bob Dylan’s shitty singing works for his songs.
- Goats Don’t Shave – Las Vegas (In The Hills of Donegal): This has been in the dj gear for awhile, but I hadn’t heard of it till recently. Â This is my favorite version.
- Stockton’s Wing – The Chicago Set: Instrumental jam that is fantastic.
- Stockton’s Wing – Skidoo: Also great instrumental jam.
- Bagatelle – Summer In Dublin: Slow jam that really builds.
- Steve Earle – Galway Girl: Most of you’ve probably heard this before, but it hasn’t been posted yet, so why not.
Or listen to all of the songs via this zip file I created.
Categorised in: Music
This post was written by Brian